Guide to Funny Essays
Having a sense of humor is a quality many try to possess. Being able to find something funny in the difficult situations we often face is a characteristic that can help your overcome life’s difficulties and lighten up your mood. A sense of humor shows to a person that the troubles of everyday life are not more than an illusion. It is a powerful weapon against your fears and worries. Ultimately, a sense of humor means being able to laugh at yourself.
Writing with a sense of humor can be tough, and it requires practice to produce good funny essays that will make people smile or laugh. Difficult, but not impossible. In order to learn the best way to write them, let’s have a look at what humorous essays are. Funny essays can describe an episode of the author’s life or something completely fictional, and their main purpose is to convey a message amusing the reader. Such essays allow for a genuine use of the feelings to be expressed.
Humor is said to be coming from conflict. So when you are writing an essay, it is important to have a conflict.
Three kinds of conflict can help you add humor to your paper:
- The character’s conflict with the world around him: you can come up with a realistic character in an absurd situation.
- The character’s conflict with other characters: two characters that do not go along with each other have to overcome a difficult situation together.
- The character’s conflict with himself, when a character wants two contradictory things: e. g. a woman who wants to love her husband also wants to kill him at the same time.
Although conflict is an important part of the story, there are a number of ways of achieving humor in writing, here are just some of the stylistic devices used:
- pun, or play on words: “whether life is worth living depends on the liver” (here, the word liver has two meanings: 1) liver as an organ 2) liver as the person who lives
- hyperbole, or exaggeration: “her nostrils were so big you could put a cup in each of them”.
- understatement: “I think there might be a misunderstanding between Israel and Palestine”
- irony, when the writes says the opposite on what he means: “oh, what a “clever” way to solve the problem!”
The ways of writing funny essays are many, and the information above is just given as a guide for you to investigate various methods further. In essence, remember to find a conflict and season it with humorous stylistic devices.